Paging Dr. Martyr.J.D.
"My Super Ego" is the seventh episode of Scrubs first season. J.D. tries to regain his spot as top doc after a new doctor, Nick Murdoch (Sean Hayes), outshines him. Turk realizes that he could mess up and kill someone.
During rounds, J.D. is doing exceptionally well. However, there is one other intern who is just as good a doctor as he is: Nick Murdoch. Nick has a young patient, Peter, who keeps getting worse. Nurse Roberts keeps him updated on Peter's status. Eventually, Nick surpasses J.D. as the leader of the interns after he is asked to write a paper for Dr. Cox, and after he takes a bullet for the other interns.
In surgery, Dr. Wen notices a smell, and Turk is afraid that he accidentally nipped the patient's colon. It turns out that The Todd farted, but Turk gets frightened that he could make a mistake in surgery and kill someone. After Elliot asks Carla if Turk is all right, Carla gets upset that Turk doesn't talk to her about his problems. Dr. Cox eventually gives both Turk and Carla advice on how the stress of the hospital can make people not want to talk about their problems.
Later, J.D. and Nick talk, and J.D. realizes that Nick isn't so bad after all. As soon as J.D. gets back from running an errand for Nick, he can't be found. It turns out Nick can't handle Peter's deteriorating condition, and he quits Sacred Heart.
- Nick Murdoch helps J.D. choke him to death.
- Dr. Cox is a judge at a dog show and judges J.D. and Nick.
- Sacred Heart is a scary alleyway with frightening patients.
- J.D. hands a torch to Nick.
- J.D. plays M*A*S*H with his older brother when they were younger.
- Dr. Cox and other hospital staff applaud Turk.
- Janitor wants to insult J.D. but waits until a time when it won't be too easy. In the end, his insult is "You're stupid".
J.D.'s girl names
- Dr. Cox doesn't call J.D. any girl's name, possibly because he is so busy with Carla and Turk's relationship problems.
Episode running gags
- Dr. Kelso gives J.D. the finger gun.
- "Electric Relaxation" by A Tribe Called Quest
- "Camera One" by Josh Joplin
- "Nothin' but a Dogg" by Rodney Love, feat. Mushock
You know, it's—it's okay to be impressed by me. Most girls are.J.D.
He was born John Dorian, but he was simply known as 'J.D.' Doctor. Friend. Lover.Nick Murdoch
Oh, eventually I remembered I was a doctor. 'Course, he'd been dead for twenty minutes—very embarrassing. Food was good, though.Nick
You know, I kinda had a date last night.Elliot
Yeah. Guy on the bus fell asleep on me and drooled on my shoulder.
How about Nick?
Oh... I'd let him drool on me. Oh, that's gross, why did I say that? I—I shouldn't talk to people.
Sir, I farted. That smell was from the fart that I made.Todd
You're right, he definitely has a cute little butt.Carla
Oh, it's almost like it's been sculpted.Elliot
Who cares? Everybody's got a cute butt; I have a cute butt.J.D.
You should bring it in someday.
You see, Dr. Dorian, your problem is... you're a pansy. If you were in my way, I'd throw you off this ledge right now. We're out here alone... no one would ever know.Dr. Kelso
I've got so much potassium, it's coming out of my assium!Turk
[to self] Nobody hurts Carla and gets away with it.Dr. Cox
I was talkin' to myself; don't eavesdrop.
[to self] This kid doesn't leave, I'm gonna kill him.
- [Doug grabs his tray and starts to stand.]
Now, if you leave, I'll know you were eavesdropping—I'll just go ahead and kill you anyway.
- [Doug freezes.]
Stay. Good girl.
Wow. You finally dug down deep in your heart and came up with a muffin.Carla
It's store-bought, sister. There's blueberries in there the size of your fist.Dr. Cox
- Sean Hayes is best known for the role of Jack on NBC's Will & Grace.
- Dr. Cox doesn't call J.D. any girl names in this episode, possibly because he is focused on Turk and Carla's relationship problems.
- When J.D. talks to Janitor, who is in the elevator, the light indicates he's on the 4th floor, but on the wall behind the Janitor, a big, blue 2 indicates he's on the 2nd floor.
- When Janitor says, "Tick-tock, Clarice", he is referring to Hannibal Lecter, who says this line in The Silence of the Lambs.
- According to the Fake Doctors, Real Friends with Zach and Donald podcast, this episode was filmed in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, something which was a major emotionally challenging experience for the cast and crew.
- Beginning with this episode, the closing credits for "Film Laboratory (IMAGE LAB), Post Production Services (LEVEL 3 POST), Supervising Sound Editor MITCHELL C. GETTLEMAN Re-Recording Mixers JOHN W. COOK II, PETER NUSBAUM" are now appear above the I.A.T.S.E. logo and the Touchstone Television copyright tag.
J.D. has become the best of the interns, giving him a super ego. Also, in Freudian psychology, the super-ego is the part of the psyche that strives for perfection and is described as a person's moral conscience or ideal self.